We are currently recruiting an experienced volunteer teacher or tutor to support our Monday group for new arrivals. This group was established to help newly arrived young asylum seekers who are not yet enrolled in school or college to become ‘school ready’ and gain some basic English skills. We are looking for a volunteer who is able to teach beginners’ English (pre-entry and entry level) and support the young people to prepare for the UK academic environment.
The volunteer must be available on Mondays at midday (11:30am – 1pm) in central Leicester.
The volunteer may be involved in:
- Working one-to-one or in small groups with young people
- Planning a learning session to teach basic English skills
- Developing and maintaining After18’s learning resources
- Recording and evaluating progress
Teaching/tutoring person specifications:
- Previous teaching experience essential
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- Compassion and sensitivity to asylum-seeking young people
- Ability to work within After18’s policies and procedures
- Able to commit for the academic year
- Commitment to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of the children and young people they come into contact with
For more information or to request an application form please get in touch by phone or email via our contact page.
After18 is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people we work with. All staff and volunteers are required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check before joining us.