We are currently recruiting experienced volunteer English teachers or tutors to support young people with their learning. On Mondays we provide beginners’ English classes for young asylum seekers who have recently arrived in Leicester and are waiting for a place at school or college – see the vacancy for New Arrivals Group support. On Thursday we provide English classes from beginner to GCSE level at our weekly education drop-in.
We are specifically looking for support with the following levels:
- Functional skills – Entry Level 1 and 2
Volunteers must be available on Thursday evenings (5-7pm) in central Leicester.
Teaching/tutoring volunteers may be involved in:
- Working one-to-one or in small groups with young people
- Planning a learning session to reinforce skills taught at college
- Developing and maintaining After18’s learning resources
- Recording and evaluating progress
Teaching/tutoring person specifications:
- Previous teaching experience essential
- Awareness of, or willingness to familiarise with, exam syllabus and exam requirements
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- Compassion and sensitivity to asylum-seeking young people
- Ability to work within After18’s policies and procedures
- Able to commit for the academic year
- Commitment to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of the children and young people they come into contact with
For more information or to request an application form please get in touch by phone or email via our contact page.
After18 is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people we work with. All staff and volunteers are required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check before joining us.